(Online Career Center)
Sponsored by the Office of Professional Development
Login: To log into Symplicity, the new online career center for the Office of Professional Development, please visit http://indylaw.indiana.edu/career/. Select online career center (Symplicity). Select "Student." Enter the user id and password that was emailed to you and select “Login”. Once logged into the system, you have complete access to the system. Please complete the profile when first logging in. To edit personal information, select "Profile." One benefit of the "Profile" section is that you can edit information, track where you have sent information, and check the status of interview selections
Resumes & Documents: Once you have uploaded a resume to the On-Line Career Center, you will be able to apply to online positions and interviews posted on the site. Please note: All new resumes must be approved by the Office of Professional Development. When a new resume is uploaded, it is sent to OPD for approval. Students will receive a reply stating whether the resume was approved/disapproved, typically within 72 hours of submission. If your resume is disapproved, you will receive an email with suggestions. Once you make the changes, upload your resume, and it will be reviewed again.
- Upload a Resume: Once you have created a resume in an acceptable format (MS Word), select the "add new" button under the "documents" section. Please do not upload a pdf (the system will make this conversion automatically)
- Select the "resume" option. Enter a name for your resume (e.g. John Smith’s resume). You may upload numerous documents, so please enter a different name for each new resume.
- Upload file - Select the browse button and find the file you wish to upload. Once the file is selected, it will appear in the box. (please note that Microsoft Word resumes are the easiest to view)
- When finished, select the “Submit” button.
- Upload a Cover Letter: In this same area, you may create a cover letter. To create a cover letter, select the “cover letter” selection. Next, select "online editor" and type or cut and paste your cover letter in the text box. Or, you may select the "file" option and upload a cover letter in the same manner as your resume. After either selection, choose "submit."
- Upload Other Documents: You can upload any file that is in Microsoft Word format. The system offers several categories, such as "writing sample" or "transcript," for each document.
Searching for Jobs:
- Click the "Jobs & Resume Collection" button on the home page. All available positions will appear. To filter the positions, select the desired criteria (e.g. Student part time) and/or input any keyword and click "search." More options are available after clicking the "more options" button.
- Select a job title for job specific information. Select the Employer’s name for basic information about the employer.
- To apply to a specific position, read the job description and contact information, and select the available application method that best suits your needs. Various contact information may be shown, which can include mailing address, phone number, fax number, email contact information and the “Apply” feature. To use your uploaded resume and cover letter and/or additional documents that are requested, select the “Apply” link when available. (Please note: once items have been sent to employers using the apply online method, the information is sent directly to the employers and cannot be changed after it has been submitted. (This may not be true for OCI; please see below) For methods where the employer will be able to collect the information on a certain date, information can be modified until the stated deadline.)
- Applying Online: When applying online, you can select any single approved resume and any single cover letter that has been uploaded, which will be sent directly to the employer. After you have made your selection, select the “Submit” button. Remember, you cannot retrieve your information once it has been sent using the apply online method. Be sure to proofread all documents and make sure that you are sending the correct information.
Search Agent: This feature is a way for students to receive email notification of job postings that fit the selected criteria. The Search Agent icon is a saved job search that is constantly run in the system. Each time a job that matches your selected criteria is posted to the site, it is automatically emailed to you. To set up the Search Agent feature,
- Select “Search Agent”
- Select desired job levels, function, job locations and keywords
- Select “Save Changes”
OCI: To use the On-Line Career Center for On-Campus Interviewing, select the OCI tab from the On-Line Career Center home page. Under Search Filters (in the middle of the OCI page), select (1) the desired OCI period and (2) “Show All” in the Employers box. Select “Search” (Employers participating in your class status should appear on the screen). The Bid/Application Details field for each employer is located on the lower right side of the screen.
- Click the “Apply” button for the desired employer. After clicking “Apply,” the application page will appear.
- The Bid/Application Details menu is located on the upper right side of the screen. Select the necessary documents from the respective pull down boxes. (For instance, there is a “Resume” box. Click the box and select the appropriate resume. After selecting the desired documents, click “Apply.”)
To confirm a bid, go back to the general OCI page. Return to the “Search Filters” area (in the middle of the screen). Under the Employers field, select “With Bids.” Select “Search.” All bids will appear at the bottom of the screen. Here, applicants may change information, add additional requested information and manage bids in general. Note: students may change documents, delete bids, and make new bids until the application deadline. Following this deadline, no further alterations may be made.
There is no limit to the number of employers for which you
may submit bids. The only restriction is that you be eligible to apply for the
position (2L, 3L, etc.) If you want to review details about the employer, please
select the “Review” button next to the employers name to view general OCI
information about that employer. The same steps apply to employers labeled as “Resume
Please Note: Submitting a bid does not guarantee an interview slot but only indicates your interest in interviewing with the employer. An employer may review all resumes in the system and pre-select from that group.
Your resume will be reviewed along with other students for the available pre-selection slots. After the employer makes its choices, you will receive an email notifying you whether you have been pre-selected or not for an interview with the employer. If you have been pre-selected, you will be able to log onto the system and select a time slot in which to interview with the employer. Time slots will be filled on a first come- first served basis. Please be sure to check your email and the Symplicity web site often to make sure that you do not miss any of the pre-selections.
Events: OPD will accept reservations for programming offered by our office using the On-Line Career Center system. To register for an event, select the event and read the description (which may also include registration instructions). Next, simply sign up for the event. Event sign up is important for every event as arrangements, including food orders, are based on the number of expected attendees.
If you have any questions or concerns about using Symplicity, please contact a member of the OPD staff.